Monday, February 20, 2017

Day 20- Black History







February 20, 2017

Black History Month





In. 2009, African American designer Stacey McBride-Irby created  the So In Style dolls for Mattel. These dolls were unique in that it was a line of African American dolls that had there own storyline separate from the Barbie.  The dolls came in various skin tones and hairstyles to represent  African Americans.  The leader of the group was Grace she was friends with Barbie but was moving from California to Chicago.  She met some new friends, Kara, Trichelle, and Chandra. Grace had a boyfriend Daren.  


After a few years Stacey McBride-Irby left Mattel to start her own doll company. See tomorrow's post.











4 comments:

  1. These remain some of my favorite playscale dolls, particularly Chandra. BTW, Marisa (the lone Latina) was also part of the line.

    dbg

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this line of dolls. I was sad when Mattel stopped producing them. I always hoped another guy would be introduced.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also loved this line of dolls. I wish they had given Darren a unique face mold so he didn't look so much like Jamal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that he should have been give a different face. He looks completely different than the first Jamal with the yellow suit.

      Delete