Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Jean Michel Basquiat Barbie

Jean Michel Basquiat Barbie

When I first heard about this doll, I was excited.  I always like getting male dolls.  I could add him to my collection.  It was not until I saw the pictures that I realized that it was an interpretation of the  female barbie doll representing Jean Michel Basquiat's Art.

The Box reads: " During the 1980's, as the art movement known as neo-expression gained traction, a young street artist from Brooklyn, NY emerged.  Barbie celebrates the influential work of Jean-Michel Basquiat.  His frenetic paintings are an infusion of graphic poetry, cultural dichotomies, and compelling social statements.  Basquiat played an essential role in elevating graffiti art from the underground to gaining well-deserved acclaim in the upper echelons of the art world."

The fabric on Barbie shows his various artworks in a wonderful pants suit.  The crown on her head represents his signature in his paintings showing intellect.

At an auction in 2017, one his paintings sold for 110.5 million dollars.

Barbie appears with Basquiat.  Basquiat was created by Medicom in the Real Life Heroes series years ago.



 


















No comments:

Post a Comment